Friday, January 24, 2020

Pa-Pa Vealon

Elbert Vealon Foster
June 16, 1930 - January 14, 2020

This past Tuesday, January 21, my family and I celebrated the life and mourned the death of my maternal grandfather, Elbert Vealon Foster (or Elbert Veland Foster, or Vealon Elbert Foster, depending on which document you are looking at).  He had fought cancer successfully twice before, but this most recent diagnosis (sadly and ironically delivered to him on his last birthday - June 16, 2019) took him from us.

My Grandma and Pa-Pa celebrated their final wedding anniversary on October 27, 2019 - 68 years after their wedding day.  Their love story is an amazing one that I have never seen before or since.  They fell in love from the very moment they met.  He stole her away from his best friend and well... sort of... stalked her, coming from Easley to drive by her house in Greenville (about a 20-30 minute drive nowadays). They were married at ages 21 (him) and 18 (her), and he devoted his entire life to looking after and taking care of her.  They had four children together (including my mother) and currently have a total of 25 biological descendants. 


His obituary from Thomas McAfee Funeral Home can be found here:  Vealon Foster Obituary

The last act of love that I was able to give the man who became a grandfather upon my birth was to prepare a video/photo tribute to him, to be shown at the visitation prior to his funeral.  That tribute can be viewed by clicking the below link:



Rest in peace, Pa-Pa.  We will miss you.  Until we meet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment